1. 题干：Michael Faraday was the first person to recognize Perkin’s ability as a student of chemistry. (C9-T1-R1 T1)
原文：His talent and devotion to the subject were perceived by his teacher, Thomas Hall, who encouraged him to attend a series of lectures given by the eminent scientist Michael Faraday at the Royal Institution.
Recognize --- perceive
Ability --- talent
2. 题干：Michael Faraday suggested Perkin should enrol in the Royal College of Chemistry.(C9-T1-R1 T2)
原文：At the time of Perkin’s enrolment, the Royal College of Chemistry was headed by the noted German chemist August Wilhelm Hofmann.
Enrol --- enrolment
3. 题干：Perkin was still young when he made the discovery that made him rich and famous. (C9-T1-R1 T4)
原文：Not long after that, Perkin made the scientific breakthrough that would bring him both fame and fortune.
Discovery --- breakthrough
Rich --- fortune
Famous --- fame
4. 题干：The trees from which quinine is derived grow only in South America. (C9-T1-R1 T5)
原文：The drug is derived from the bark of the cinchona tree, native to South America, and by 1856 demand for the drug was surpassing the available supply.
Grow only --- native to
5. 题干：Perkin hoped to manufacture a drug from a coal tar waste product. (C9-T1-R1 T6)
原文：He was attempting to manufacture quinine from aniline, an inexpensive and readily available coal tar waste product.
Hope --- attempt
6. 题干：Before Perkin’s discovery, with what group in society was the colour purple associated? (C9-T1-R1 T8)
原文：Indeed, the purple colour extracted from a snail was once so costly that in society at the time only the rich could afford it.
Group --- the rich
7. 题干：What potential did Perkin immediately understand that his new dye had? (C9-T1-R1 T9)
原文：But perhaps the most fascinating of all Perkin’s reactions to his find was his nearly instant recognition that the new dye had commercial possibilities.
Potential --- possibilities
Immediately --- instant
Understand --- recognition
8. 题干：What was the name finally used to refer to the first colour Perkin invented? (C9-T1-R1 T10)
原文：Perkin originally named his dye Tyrian Purple, but it later became commonly known as mauve (from the French for the plant used to make the colour violet).
Name --- became known as
Finally --- later
9. 题干：What was the name of the person Perkin consulted before setting up his own dye works? (C9-T1-R1 T11)
原文：He asked advice of Scottish dye works owner Robert Pullar, who assured him that manufacturing the dye would be well worth it if the colour remained fast (i.e. would not fade) and the cost was relatively low.
Consult --- ask advice
10. 题干：In what country did Perkin’s newly invented colour first become fashionable? (C9-T1-R1 T12)
原文：The company received a commercial boost from the Empress Eugenie of France, when she decided the new colour flattered her.
Country --- France
Became fashionable --- receive a commercial boost
11. 题干：According to the passage, which disease is now being targeted by researchers using synthetic dyes? (C9-T1-R1 T13)
原文：And in what would have been particularly pleasing to Perkin, their current use is in the search for a vaccine against malaria.
Disease --- malaria
Target --- in search for